There's a universal concept in medicine (and especially surgery) called informed consent. Put simply, it means you fully understand what you're signing up for when you sign on the dotted line for a surgical procedure.
On your Boobie Journey being informed doesn't start (or end) with signing the surgical consent form!
Your plastic surgeon should go over all the details of the surgery (benefits and potential risks). But you too have a key role in ensuring that you are informed every step of the way...
Knowledge, Knowledge, Knowledge
One of the main reasons I started EKI was to share all the info I've learned along the way of my own Boobie Journey - to help many other women see the whole picture so they too can make positive and informed decisions!
Sometimes it can feel like you've gone back to school when you're on a boobie journey!
Yep, it's a whole new language and lots of new information, but you shouldn’t bury your head in the sand... get informed!
Your plastic surgeon should guide you through every step of the process and ensure that you are fully informed on all of the options that are available to you, and the disadvantages and advantages of each.
If you’re not getting enough information ask more questions!
Some of the things you can expect to pick up along the way fit roughly in to the following categories:
- The good - seeing before and afters and hearing your Boobie Sisters stories of loving their new girls
- The bad - finding out what the possible risks and complications are is equally important. Only when you know both sides of any surgery can you make a truly balanced decision about what's right for you.
- The funny - over here at EKI we like to share the nuances of breast implant surgery! Call it the non-medical bit if you want... all the bits you may find your plastic surgeon doesn't touch on, like zingers, boob greed and Frankenboob!
- The serious - this doesn't have to be a serious thing but you should think seriously about how you're going to fund your BA (it's a BIG investment)
- The sensible - put your sensible hat on girl and make as many of your boobie decisions with your head (and not your heart). This is especially important when it comes to picking the right surgeon - one who is Board Certified, experienced and crucially a plastic surgeon.
- The reality - You can watch my mini-documentary to get an idea of what it's really like to get breast implants. From knowing what your recovery milestones are and what to expect as your implants settle in to place, it can go a long way to helping you be patient (one of my Boobie Mantras!) and keeping your expectations in check.
I hope EKI can go some way to helping you realize the importance of being fully informed. It's the bedrock of helping you get off to the best start with your new girls :)