You’re booked, you’re paid up and you’re on the final days of your countdown. The last big step before Surgery Day is the pre-op appointment.
A couple of weeks (or thereabouts) before your surgery date you can expect to attend a pre-op.
There isn't really a standard pre-op, but you'll likely find some of the following are covered:
- Taking and reviewing photos - it's essential for your plastic surgeon to 'benchmark' your before breasts for comparison after
- Checking your augmentation goals and the implant options - so you can make a final decision on size/profile etc. Your pre-op appointment may be where you try on sizers and make the choice, or where you double-check your decision if you did this in an earlier consult.
- Review written and verbal pre and post-op instructions - checking you understand the procedure itself (and the risks and benefits), go through the consent forms
- Discuss and order your meds - depending how your surgeon's facility works (be sure to ask!) you may be issued with your post-op med prescriptions.
- Review medical history - your plastic surgeon may order or review blood tests, take your blood pressure, and check you are fit for surgery by checking any past and present health conditions and any meds you're already taking. They may also take your weight and height (although this is more commonly done on the day of surgery).
- Answer any final questions - now this part of your pre-op assessment appointment is KEY.
All of this should take your surgeon 30-60 minutes (depending on how chatty they are!). If you're just going through paperwork you can probably expect your pre-op to be conducted by a surgical co-ordinator (and not your plastic surgeon).
If you're the super-organized type and you want to know how your surgeon will conduct a pre-op assessment ask about it at your first consult! I did :) I do love being super-prepared!
The Final Countdown
Before you skip merrily (and lots of us did!) out of your pre-op and enter the exciting period of counting down the days to your surgery, make sure you use the pre-surgery consultation to ask any final questions.
You'll feel more relaxed counting down to surgery if you've had any burning questions answered, so be sure to make a list! (I made one with pen and paper and my phone- just to be safe)
A great place to get ideas for your list is Bustmob, my women only breast augmentation community! Your pre-op is an exciting appointment, the final step before the big day! :-D